Sunday, February 3

President Hinckley


I was at a baptism on Saturday morning for one of the boys in my class. One of the men who gave a talk said that he went to the Friday night viewing of President Hinckley. He said that it was amazing how there were people who had come and waited in line for over 3 hours. He said that it was a fun to see families together and that there was a lot of kids who were playing and adults who were talking about President Hinckley. He then went on to say that it was amazing to see the faces of parents and children as they passed the prophet and then took the stairs on down to leave the Conference Center. He said that you could tell who had already seen the prophet by their countenances. There was a spirit of reverence even on the young children. He then went on to say that as they were leaving the Conference Center they noticed that there were clouds moving all about the sky but there was a constant opening above the Center. You could see straight up to a clear sky with the stars shining down. They watched the clouds move and the opening stay there. I have to wonder if the heavens were able to be there. I wonder if they got to take a break from missionary work to attend the viewing as well.
It has been a good week as I have remembered this great prophet that we have grown up with. I thought about what an impact he has had in many personal experiences in my life. I read his book while in high school "Standing for Something." It helped me a lot as there were only around 6-9 members in my high school and two of them were Daniel and Laura.  I first got to see him as a Freshman at BYUH when I was homesick. I realized, then, that BYUH was where I needed to be at that time in my life.  I waited for him to come into the temple the morning that I first saw Haini. I sang in a choir when he rededicated the temple grounds. He spoke at my graduation and I was able to pass in front of him and see his smile up close. His son was Haini's mission president and a great role-model, whom we have been able to talk with a couple of times.
As I watched his funeral on T.V. Saturday morning, I couldn't help but to be overcome with emotions of happiness for the great man that he was. Even though I never met him and got to talk to him, he has managed to be there in many important parts of my life. I will miss him so much. He truly was a Prophet of the Lord.
Haini got to see Elder Hinckley (his mission president) at my Graduation. We have been able to shake his hand, I think, three times and each time he shakes my hand and tells me that Haini is Tongan but he really has a Fijian last name. It is so funny because as his wife you would think that I would already know that. I just smile and politely laugh.  He is a good man and has left a profound impact on Haini.  Out of all the people he knows and missionaries that he looked over, he always seems to remember Haini from the mission.  It is amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Lucky Haini! I didn't know Pres. Hinkley's son was his Mission President. Wow!
    Love the tribute and testimony. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that would have been so neat to go to his viewing.

    Hey not sure if you got my email - but I need your address. Can you email it to me? suitedreamer@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember taking that picture. What a wonderful day. If you are ever interested I have the flowered lay on the bureau here.
    Besides, your blog made me cry. I could just see you at BYUH, scared and homesick and then finding comfort in the prophet. I'm so grateful for Him and the role he's played in our family. The Lord must really love us to have allowed us to have a Prophet like Gordon B. Hinckley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi,
    I need a new post!
    Kallie

    ReplyDelete