Thursday, July 3

Tongan Weddings

I love love love Tongan Weddings. I get so excited when we hear of cousins/friends getting married. I don't know what it is about them. Do they remind me of my BYU-Hawaii days when we would go to random weddings in the Ballroom just to get a good plate lunch and have a lil entertainment? Or is it that I know there will be a ton of Tongan food and that I can eat to my hearts content? Or is it the brightly dressed entertaining Tongan women that I love to watch dance? Whatever it is I can't explain the smell, colors, music, food and all the fun traditions. I never really get too involved but love to just sit back and watch.
This is Haini's cousin Lina. Usually someone from the family will dance the Tau'olunga while people give her money. All the money goes to the Bride and Groom.
Here are the mats, tapa cloth and baskets of gifts that they exchange.


My flash isn't working so these are so grainy.



6 comments:

  1. Polynesian weddings are the best. Lots of good food. Lots of good family. Lots of good music.

    You sure did a good job with the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Haini smiling/laughing. That's the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like Tongan weddings, Kristi. I, on the other hand, am not really a fan, even though Saia and I had a huge Tongan wedding. Hahaha. I like the simple, elegant stuff I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking at all your pics. You still have to send me the info about the class...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tongan weddings are fun and sometimes the most exciting and great part of it is the gathering of families

    ReplyDelete